How do I find a place that offers help with my student's FASFA?

The Events tab at the top of the page provides a list of FAFSA/ TASFA events taking place in the Greater Houston Area. These events are for students and parents/ guardians to get assistance and support in filling out the FAFSA/ TASFA applications at one of our trusted centers. 

What is the FSA ID?

It is a username and password that you must use to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID identifies you as someone who has the right to access your own personal information on ED websites such as the FAFSA. If you are a parent of a dependent student, you will need your own FSA ID if you want to sign your child's FAFSA electronically. If you have more than one child attending college, you can use the same FSA ID to sign all applications. 

Why does my teen need my tax information?

Parent’s/ guardian’s tax information is used to calculate the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is a key factor in the college accessing the student’s Financial Need.

Why do parents need to be involved?

Parents/ guardians play an essential part in the completion of their student's
 FAFSA and TASFA applications. Student's need their parent's/guardian's financial information, recent tax information, FSA ID, and possibly other documents to successfully apply for federal and state financial aid.


         Asked                          Questions

Student Financial Information

Check out these resourceful websites for more specific help during your financial aid process. 

Don't forget to attend Houston FAFSA's events to get one-on-one help with your FAFSA/TASFA!

FAFSA (Federal Student Aid)
My Degree Counts

Our goal is simple:

Increase the number of those who complete their student financial aid in the greater Houston region. Help us help you!

What is Financial Aid?

 Noun 1. financial aid --money to support a worthy person or cause

Should I complete the FAFSA or the TASFA?

If you are a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident, you will need to fill out the FAFSA (NOT BOTH). If you are an undocumented student, you are eligible to receive state aid but in order to do so you will need to fill out the TASFA only. 

How will I benefit from completing the FAFSA/TASFA?

Once you complete the FAFSA/TASFA, the colleges/universities you have applied to AND have been accepted to will begin to put together a financial aid package for you. Because you completed the FAFSA/TASFA application, you will be eligible to receive aid to HELP PAY FOR A COLLEGE EDUCATION!

Why do I need to complete the FAFSA?

Completing the FAFSA/TASFA will allow the U.S. Department of Education to figure out how much financial aid and what type of financial aid you are eligible to receive. Without the application, you can not receive federal or state aid (money).​

Student Financial Aid Guide
Student Financial Aid Guide
Student Financial Aid Guide
My Degree Counts

TASFA Specific:

In addition TASFA students will need to provide a notarized residency affidavit. Click here for a copy.

Some universities require an additional residency questionnaire or supplemental information.

Not all schools accept TASFA, check with your school's financial aid office.